{mom's style} Rustic Chic Powder Room

If you missed the announcement about the launch of my new feature called {mom's style}, hop on over here for a quick introduction to my awesome mother!

As I mentioned last Friday, we spent our Labor Day weekend in beautiful Breckenridge, Colorado.  I raved about why Breckenridge is one of my favorite places, and it turns out I'm not the only one who feels that way since just this week Forbes named Breckenridge in the top 5 on their list of America's Prettiest Towns

Two years ago my parents built a vacation home in Breckenridge, so now we have the privilege of spending a lot more time in this gorgeous Rocky Mountain destination.  And over the weekend, I photographed some of my favorite spots in my parents' Breck house to share with you - starting today with the powder room, which I love because, as she has done throughout the house, my mom did an amazing job of melding a rustic mountain style with chic, contemporary elements.


One of the most striking elements in this room is that great photographic canvas print of the two horses, which my mom found at HomeGoods.
 
 
The crisp white background of the photo really gives the canvas print a contemporary feel, but this photo would have been (and originally was) lost hanging on a beige wall.  By painting the chocolate brown accent wall, the photo really pops and becomes a major feature of the room!  This is especially impactful since it is the first glimpse you see when approaching the powder room from the hall.
 
 
Across the room, as a subtle tie-in to the horse photo, my mom dressed up a simple white hand towel by adding a band of black fabric adorned with horse brands.
 
 
Adding fabric to a hand towel is a quick and easy trick that my mom often uses to tie a space together.  The key is to wash and dry (separately) the towel and the fabric to preshrink both before stitching the strip of fabric onto the towel.
 

The bright, white background of the horse photograph also ties in with the white soap pump, trash can, and Kleenex box cover, as well as the crisp white rug in front of the sink.  I really like the way the square, contemporary shape of white bath accessories are a stark contrast to the rustic and textural mirror, sink, counter top, and pendant lights.
 

The rustic wood framed mirror was another lucky HomeGoods find, and it is a perfect compliment to the natural wood of the vessel sink.
 
 
There is no doubt that the sink is really the bathroom's show-stopping piece.  It is hand carved from solid teak and was purchased from Functional Art Gallery.  The vessel sink is treated with an eco-friendly water resistant finish that makes it just as functional and practical as it is beautiful.
 

The two hanging pendant lights add another rustic texture to the room.  These fixtures (Uttermost Woodland Mini) are great on their own, but by grouping the two pendants and offsetting them at different heights, the lights become a chic design element.
 

 
The rough, chiseled edge of the thick soapstone countertop is yet another rustic element, which is nicely contrasted against the sleeker lines of the black bathroom cabinet.
 
 
And the textural twig-like cabinet pulls are a nice match to the twigs on the pendant lights.
 
 
Last, but certainly not least, let's take a close look at the art piece that hangs above the toilet. 
 
 
For a girl who tends toward sleek and modern, I can't get enough of this barbed wire art.  I am often drawn to typography - so there's something about the handwriting that really draws me in.  And I also love the burnt wood edge and the surrounding rope.  It's a very rustic piece, and it appeals to the side of me that loves raw, industrial textures.   
 
 
This barbed wire art was purchased at a gallery in Steamboat Springs, another great Colorado mountain town.  But if you are looking for something similar, this one is an almost identical match.  And if you happen to be from Texas - you'll love this one.
 
 
Rustic, contemporary, chic - I think all of these words describe this space, and that's exactly what I love about it.  It's a perfect style for a new home in a historic mountain town.
 
 

So there you have it - your first introduction to my mom's style.  But this is just the tip of the iceberg.  As you'll come to see, her style is varied and runs the gamut...which means there's always something new and exciting going on!  Keep coming back and you'll see more {mom's style} featured here in the future!
 

Labels: , , , ,