{five minute friday} Two Quick, Colorful Updates for a Festive Christmas Porch

I was hoping to share some pretty pictures of our Christmas porch dusted in snow and looking oh, so very Colorado Christmas... but alas we've only had snow once this season, and I didn't manage to grab any photos in the 24 hours that it stuck around. And since there are no signs of a white Christmas in our forecast, I final just took some photos of our porch in the sunshine.

While the porch doesn't look as Christmas-y as it would in the snow, I do want to share the details about two quick and easy projects that upped the style and festive feel of our porch this season.


For a few years now, I've been using these shiny red candle lanterns from Pier 1 as part of our Christmas porch decor. I love the pop of color, but they are so tall that even the tallest battery-operated pillar candles I could find looked really undersized in these large lanterns.


To make the scale of the candles look more appropriate in the lanterns this year, I purchased a 4x4 from Home Depot and had it cut to 10 inch lengths. I then picked up two inexpensive rolls of greenery from Walgreens and wrapped them around the blocks of wood, using a hot glue gun to attach the greenery to the wood every so far.



The greenery wrapped wood blocks lift up the pillar candles and help to fill the space inside the lanterns, giving them more style and presence on our front steps.




The second update I made to our porch this year is in the form of spray paint. A few years ago I purchased two pre-lit, topiary style Christmas trees from Michaels. I love having these small trees on our front porch, but this year I upped the style by painting the formerly dark green pots bright teal.




Now the pops of bright red and teal on our holiday porch better reflect the modern, colorful style of the Christmas decor inside our home!

Continuing the red and teal color scheme, the wreaths on our front door are hung from bright red ribbon, and are mirrored on the inside of the door with a second set of wreaths. I also have a great tip for tip for hanging wreaths on glass doors!



Here's a quick look at how our porch looks all lit up at dusk...


And if you missed our Christmas home tour...the door is still open, so come on in and check out all of our colorful holiday decor!


Click here to read about our previous colorful, five minute porch updates, including painting our house numbers, labeling our mailbox and milk box, and painting our doorbell!

And for more Christmas inspiration, you might like these links:

Labels: , , , , , , , ,